Harold Kimber

11:00 AM Posted by CANBlog





My wife I first heard about Cornerstone in the early 1990's from a member of the Sunday School Class I teach at the First Baptist Church of Hurst. Pat Black reported that she had been to the Cornerstone warehouse and she indicated that they could use volunteers. From the beginning, we could witness the valuable contributions Cornerstone was making to the Tarrant County community. We also assisted in moving the warehouse to Sylvania Avenue and then to East Loop 820.

Mary and I felt that we could serve others and perhaps make a difference to them in that community. From this service, we learned that the Cornerstone Community Center was collecting toys received at the warehouse to be used for their Christmas Store. After my wife retired, she and other women from our church taught English to Spanish speaking women at the Community Center for several years. After I retired, I volunteered as a weekly Bible Study teacher for homeless men and women. In recent years, this Bible Study was changed to a Bible Study for Senior Adults. I continue to teach the Bible study each Friday morning.

We especially enjoy being with the Staff, Volunteers and clients at CAN. We know that there are many places that volunteers could serve but we try to find those situations that will maximize our efforts for the Lord Jesus Christ. We feel that this is the best local place where our services would be most beneficial.

In addition to areas of ministry I have already enumerated, I also acquired a ministry through Cornerstone about three years ago. This opportunity came to me through a conversation between CAN Directors Chaplain Jerry Cabluck of WelcomeBack/Tarrant County and Director of Network Development, Jesse Vasquez. Chaplain Cabluck mentioned to Jesse that the WelcomeBack/Tarrant County program needed an reliable volunteer at the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, Fort Worth District Re-entry Center for ex-offenders. My service is required every Tuesday and Thursday and amounts to well over 600 hours a year, not counting my personal time through direct contact, mentoring and telephone contacts with parolees. I have subsequently been designated as the Voluntary Chaplain at that office.

God has richly blessed us through volunteering at Cornerstone Assistance Network along with our church involvement in teaching and mission work. We would recommend getting involved.

All for Jesus!
Harold Kimber (CAN Volunteer since 1994)
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes

0 comments:

Post a Comment