Live Blog from WillowCreek Leadership Summit 2009

1:39 PM Posted by CANBlog



Carolyn Ayres, Network Development Director here a Cornerstone, shares some of the lessons she learned at a recent leadership conference.

Today was the first of two days at the WillowCreek Leadership Summit 2009. They mentioned at the start of the morning that it would be like trying to take a drink from a fire hydrant, and they weren't kidding. I remember this same feeling last year, laying in bed, thinking about all that I'd seen and heard and the growing longing in me for a life of significance, to do something that counts. Goodness! Now, I have all of that compounded with a little guilt over what I haven't done with all that I heard a year ago!

This year, I've decided to blog about each session. It's part of that external processing thing. I'll try to brief, keep my thoughts digestible, but I make no promises.

Bill Hybels spoke during the opening session about "Leading In a New Reality." His initial illustration was about "rogue waves," a sea term describing a wave that is unexpected, unpredictable, and inexplicable. He described our current economic and cultural situation as a "rogue wave." Then, he went on to describe the character of a leader in a rogue wave situation. He says, "leaders are energized by uncharted waters, recognizing opportunity for creativity, hearing the affirming whisper of the Holy Spirit that perhaps they were called for just such a time." 5 minutes into the conference and my head was already spinning. I've always considered myself a leader, but I was really trying to figure out if this had been my response to recent unexpected challenges. Am I really charged by the thought of blazing a trail forward into the unknown with other following close behind me?

Then Hybels said, "Rogue waves draw things out of us that calm seas never will." True that. I have to admit. True that. I made the mistake once a few years ago of telling a room full of people that character is what comes out of us when we get squeezed. It lead to many funny if crude jokes. But, I standby the premise. Eleanor Roosevelt said, "A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until you put her in hot water." How's my gift of leadership holding up in hot water?

Hybels then proceeded to share four lessons he's learned as a leader during the last 10 months:

1. Be the church to one another no matter what. It's a philosophical decision to follow the Acts 2 model.

He asked, "Do we still believe the church is God's hope for the world?" He challenges church leaders to offer what he calls serious church because "people are not coming to church to get a mild dose of God." And I ask myself, am I leading in a way that offers people the opportunity to meet God in a powerful and life-changing way?

2. People will still give generously and sacrificially to a white hot Kingdom vision.

At this point, he spoke about Kingdom Economics and how the math rarely makes sense in God's Kingdom, but we must continue to trust Him even when revenues are down and needs are up. Am I boldly casting a God-sized vision for people to latch onto and become part of even now?

3. God does great things through people who are fully surrendered to Him.

(II Chronicles 16:9) Are we attracting and enlisting people who are fully yielded to Him? Are we mentoring people toward this end? Are we challenging those who seem to be losing this vision? He referenced Habakkuk 3:2 which basically says, "God we've heard of who you are and all you can do. Do it again! In our day! ..." Are we living as if we expect God to be and to do all He says He can and will?

4. Have an adequate replenishment strategy.

Live a sustainable life. Hybels admits that he wrote in his journal nearly 20 years ago, "The pace at which I'm doing the work of God is destroying the work of God in me." He says the best thing you bring to the table every day is a "full bucket." What do your colleagues/followers see when they look at you? He offers two suggestions for this. The first is a planned negligence strategy. Plan to say "no" more often. Second, reorder relationship. Figure out who replenishes you and who depletes you and organize your time accordingly.

See? One session is enough food for thought for at least a week. But, that was only the first hour of my day! Whew!
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes

0 comments:

Post a Comment