Back from Training, First Day as a Vista!

5:58 PM Posted by CANBlog


I guess this is my first post, kicking off what I hope will be a productive and exciting year here at Cornerstone.So for those of you that don't know me, I'll introduce myself properly. My name is Ryan Wilcox and I am very excited to be serving as an AmeriCorps Vista for the Cornerstone Assistance Network this year.

I'm a graduate of Texas Christian University here in Fort Worth. I've always had a passion for service and AmeriCorps mission was very attractive to me.

I spent last week in Albuquerque, NM for PSO training, the training given to all Vista's before being sworn in and officially going to their sites. The experience only affirmed that I have made the right decision for myself in becoming a Vista. I met Vistas from all over the country, many of whom I did not look like or agree with on a range of issues.

But you know what? That didn't matter. The only thing that really mattered was that we all had a common purpose, a dedication to improving our communities and the lives of the people we would come in contact with, and a larger goal of lessening the effect poverty has on America today.

Lofty goals to be sure. But in my book, if one homeless person ends up getting his GED or becomes self-sufficient because of what Cornerstone does, it's a success. Over the next few weeks I'm going to make the effort to visit with as many CAN employees as possible, that way I can learn the organization and better convey to volunteers the goals of the organization and reasons why everyone here is so passionate about what they do.

Until next time,


Ryan
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes

0 comments:

Post a Comment